Marriage Counseling is very helpful in making your married life easier whether or not you are going through some crisis. Marriage counseling indeed is effective.
When a couple gets married they are just beginning a new chapter of their life. But marriage can also be a challenge. Whenever life throws a problem at you if you and your partner work together and give each other support, then no matter how big the challenge is, it cannot tear you apart. But if you and your partner work against each other instead of working together then you are going to have an unhappy married life. If you are wondering about marriage counseling then you have come to the right place.
The Process of Marriage Counseling:
- Before going to a marriage counselor you need to re-evaluate your relationship. Are you in an abusive relationship? Is your relationship worth saving? These are the kind of questions you need to answer before going to a marriage counselor.
- Even though you might be ready to see a marriage counselor your partner might not. So, you need to convince them, why it is important. Explain to them that you need some help with your relationship.
- Not all marriage counselors are the same. Some are more qualified and experienced than others. So, before you go to a marriage counselor do some research. Ask your family and friend for advice and select the counselor you think is best suitable for you. After going to the counselor a couple of times if you do not feel comfortable then feel free to change your counselor.
- To get the best result, you should always be truthful to your marriage counselor. If you hide information or omit the truth, the counselor cannot help you.
- A lot of people get uncomfortable talking about their personal life in public. A good marriage counselor will make you feel comfortable before asking you anything. But if you are still uneasy feel free to vocalize your discomfort.
Things to Remember Before Going to a Marriage Counselor:
- Marriage counseling is not a quick fix. You have to fully commit to it to get the best results. Also, a marriage counselor can only guide you. You and your partner have to discuss and solve your own problems. Most people forget that marriage is a partnership. If you don’t have each other’s trust and commitment your marriage cannot work. A marriage counselor will help you with these things. They will give you a lot of trust building exercises and will encourage you to talk about your feelings.
- Marriage counseling can be quite costly and most insurance companies don’t cover therapies. So, you probably will have to pay the marriage counselor from your own pocket. If you don’t have extra money laying around, it may be difficult for you to afford a marriage counselor.
- A marriage counselor will ask you about all kinds of personal matter from childhood traumas to the last meal you have eaten. It is important to remember that they need all the important information they can get. So, try to be as truthful as you can. It will help you in the long run.
Effects of Marriage Counseling:
- It is a common misconception that counseling is only for those people whose marriage is failing. It could not be farther from the truth. Anyone can see a marriage counselor because marriage counseling is for people who want to improve their marriage. If you and your partner are having trouble communicating with each other or you are going through a rough patch you can visit a marriage counselor.
- We all know that communication is the key to any relationship but not everybody can vocalize their opinion in a positive way. Some people can sound mean or nitpicky when they are simply expressing their opinion. A marriage counselor can help you express yourself in a healthy, mature way. That way you and your partner can easily communicate with each other.
- You may not always agree with your marriage counselor but it is important to follow their advice. It is not always your partner who needs to change, it may be you too. So, take the criticism positively and try to implement them in your life. If you are struggling remember why you went to the marriage counselor in the first place.
- Not every couple go to a marriage counselor because they need to fix some minor problems. In fact, a lot of people go to a marriage counselor as a last resort. One-fourth of the couples that go to a marriage counselor end up having a divorce. So, it is important to remember that just because you are seeing a marriage counselor doesn’t mean that all your problems will go away. In fact, you will have to work hard to save your marriage against all odds.
- Going to a marriage counselor means that you are going to fight for your marriage, you are not going to give up. It’s all about the commitment. It is important to remember that life is going to throw a lot of hurdles at you but you always have to remember what is more important. Think of the vows you made. If you and your partner work together there is no hardship you cannot ear.
Marriage is a beautiful thing but it comes with a lot of challenges and not all of them we can solve alone. As years go by couples find it more and more difficult to find time for each other which can lead to various problems. In a situation like this, even a small misunderstanding can lead to a huge debacle.
So, if you are struggling with your marriage or you just want to improve your relationship, Marriage counseling might be perfect for you. But before going to a marriage counselor you need to set your expectation right. With the right marriage counselor hopefully, you will be able to overcome whatever problem you are going through.