Today, a dishwasher has become one of the non-negotiable parts of a modern-day kitchen. For years, people used to clean dishes manually, wahich was time-consuming and hectic, but there was no need for any maintenance.
However, when it comes to using dishwashers, it is an electronic device, it is not self-repairing, and therefore, the device could break down if no proper maintenance is done periodically.
Unlike other electronic kitchen appliances used today, maintenance of a dishwasher does not require shutting it off. All you have to do is follow the steps mentioned below. It is very important that you do not neglect any of the steps listed.
Tips to keep your dishwasher working and to increase the lifespan
According to SquatReport buying guide for dishwasher, there are different ways to increase the lifespan of a dishwasher. However, it is practically impossible to explain all the methods. Therefore, we will explain the most important and most efficient ways.
- Remove all hard food residues from your plate – A dishwasher is designed in such a way that it can clean all the dishes efficiently. As you know, cleaning a dish means removing food from the dishes and the water carries these food residues away. However, if the food residue is hard and large, it will not be possible for water to carry it and the residue could clog the drainage system. Clogged drainage is one of the most common ways a lifespan of dishwasher decreases. This is why we recommend that you always remove the entire hard food residue from the plate before loading it in a dishwasher.
- Load all your dishes in the right way – Every dishwasher will come with trays and racks inside it and the user will have to load the dishes to clean it. Most commonly, customers tend-to load the dishes into the racks without any order. This is not the right thing to do, if you check the user manual, then you can find clear instruction on how to place the dishes in the rack. Here is how to load your dishes in the right way. If you need to clean the crockery, you should be careful to place the crockery in an upside-down so that the water and food residue can slip easily from the surface. While arranging plates, ensure that the plates do not overlap or block the water jets from reaching other dishes.
- Wash dishes as soon as possible – Most of the people who use a dishwasher could be using it, because they might be busy. This would be one of the main reasons why people carelessly load the dishes after residue dry. As you know, removing the dry residue from dishes is comparatively harder than cleaning fresh residue. Apart from this, dry food residue is twice harder than fresh food residue and they will clog the drainage system easily. This is why it is very important that you load dishes as soon as possible.
- Clean the filters periodically – As important, the input water supply is, the same way, the drainage system is also important. The lifespan of a dishwasher depends on a sound working, input and drainage system. Most of the dishwashers come with filters in their drainage system that will prevent the drainage from clogging. However, over time, there will be a large accumulation of food residue in the filter and the efficiency of filter will decrease. Therefore, it is very important that you clean the filter periodically to increase the lifespan of the dishwasher.
- Choose the right programs –Just like washing machines, a dishwasher comes incorporated with several programs, and depending on how soiled your dishes are, you can select an appropriate program. However, before selecting a program, it is very important that you read the user manual and then assign the task accordingly.
- Clean the interior of dishwasher periodically – A dishwasher comes with several parts insider, each part has specific roles to play. This is why it is very important that each part is working and efficient. Now, when it comes to cleaning, as already mentioned above, filter should be cleaned first. Next, you should clean the edges and the door seal, if the door seal does not function efficiently, water will start leaking, and this will eventually destroy the product. After cleaning the door seal, next, you should clean the spray arm. A spray arm is one of the most important parts of a dishwasher; it sprays water and soap onto your dishes. If the spray arm clogs, then the dishwasher cannot function efficiently. So, clean the spray arm in every 2 or 3 months.
Apart from all the above-mentioned tips, there are some other simple things that you should do to increase the lifespan of your dishwasher. Using rinse aid is one of the general steps, then, switching on the dishwasher without a load after every six or seven use, is another important step. If you follow the above-mentioned tips carefully, then you can extend the lifespan of the dishwasher.