How to Open PST Files without MS Outlook Installation?
Outlook data file is a binary format file is a proprietary of Microsoft Outlook client only. The application is used by most for professional and personal communication purposes. Nevertheless, the contents in it are only readable when the PST or Personal Storage Table file is accessible. Therefore, it is necessary to have Outlook to be both installed as well as configured in order to read a PST.
However, the question here is how to open PST file outside the Outlook environment, i.e. without Outlook. Even though the possibility of doing so is not there, yet applying a few workarounds may enhance the chances by providing readability. There are various options offered by Outlook itself to ensure that even in its absence, a user still has access to their data.
Some of the Methods to Open PST File without Outlook
Personal Storage Table being a proprietary file that it is can only be accessed with the help of Microsoft Outlook configuration. However, this post particularly focuses on the conditions where there is a lack of Outlook yet the PST needs to be accessed anyhow.
Using Web Browser: The requirement is to read a PST file, i.e. read its contents, which is emails in most cases. Therefore, the same can be fulfilled with the simple help of a web browser. A single message in Outlook is referred to as an MSG file, i.e. Single Message File. However, at the same time these messages can be saved as other file type formats too.
Open a message and use the Save As option from the File menu to save the email as a single file. Choose the format Type as HTML/HTM and do this with as many emails as you desire. Later on, even if you do not have Outlook on your machines these emails can still be viewed using any given web browser.
The best part is, the view provided does not include HTML tags but in fact shows a message just as it was visible on Outlook. This includes; email header, message body, and its arrangement.
Text Editor / Reader: The same way you saved an Outlook message as an HTML file, you can also save it as a Text Only file. The text only version is a simpler form of the HTML message generated by Microsoft Outlook.
The file can be opened using any given text editor/reader that supports reading .txt files as the generated output is in TXT format. The file is by default readable on a Notepad, which is available on any/all Windows machines.
Being a simple text file, the view may not be as pleasing yet it is not complicated too. It would be the simple arrangement of the email content in text format along with the header and message body, all included.
However,there is only one condition to being able to open PST without Outlook, i.e. being prepared to be encountering one such condition. Just in case, you are encountered with a similar situation without being prepared for it beforehand, then you may just have to drop the idea of being able to do so.
Free Viewer:Users can use FREE PST VIEWER which does not require Microsoft Outlook environment for opening the PST (Personal Storage Table) files. This application is available in online market place 100% free of cost without any hidden charges.
Features of Free PST Viewer
- The tool is authorised to read both ANSI (American National Standards Institute) & Unicode PST files so it is compatible with PST files of Microsoft Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002, etc.
- PST Reader Software permits to open unlimited PST files without having any size limitations and it also supports password protected PST files and damaged (corrupted) PST files.
- This application shows the complete information of PST files in the software panel i.e. Folders, Sub-folders, Attachments, Sender Information, Receiver Information, Subject, Signature, Email Body, Text Formatting, etc.
- Users can also open encrypted / compressible / without encryption PST files without showing any error message.
- Outlook PST Viewer Software allows to open large sized PST files, we have successfully tested it with 30 GB PST file.
- The tool is consistent with all Windows Operating System such as Win 10, Win 8.1, Win 8, Win 7, Win Vista, Win XP, Win Server 2019, Win Server 2016, Win Server 2012, Win Server 2008, Win Server 2003, etc.
- If you are using Mac OS based computer then you can also download its separate setup which is capable to run on all latest as well as previous Mac OS Machines.
- Free PST Reader program is also capable to preview MS Outlook contacts and calendars with complete information in the software interface.
- The tool is capable to open IMAP Server PST files inclusive of detailed information and it maintains read and unread status of PST messages.
- One of the best features of mentioned PST viewer is that it supports password protected PST files, users can easily open password protected PST files in the software GUI (Graphical User Interface).
- Users can also upgrade this product to pro edition if they want to convert their PST files in several other formats. The pro edition of this software allows to export PST emails, contacts, calendars, journals, notes, tasks, to do list, etc. in 30+ standard file formats / cloud-based email services / email servers / documents formats.
Conclusion: As per the analysis made in the post above, Outlook PST is not accessible in a standalone mode if you haven’t been prepared to face a likewise situation. However, there is free PST Viewer program in the online market that do make such things possible.The tool is developed by trustworthy software company which provides complete satisfaction to the users.